Vista Greenway has been featured in an article in the latest Rails to Trails Magazine. Download the article here.
Katie Alice Walker
COLUMBIA, S.C. (June 21, 2012) -- The Congaree Vista Guild, a non-profit, membership-based organization comprising a wide variety of restaurateurs, shop, business and gallery owners and homeowners in the Vista, is celebrating the premier of the Vista Greenway Saturday, July 7 with several bike rides through the Vista Greenway and unique offers from the Vista’s restaurants and businesses. Columbia City Councilman Brian Newman will briefly speak and officially open the Vista Greenway at 10:30 a.m., and members of the community who choose not to take the guided bicycle tours are invited to the ceremony.
The Congaree Vista Guild and several other community partners including the Palmetto Conservation Foundation and the City of Columbia contributed to the Vista Greenway’s construction. The greenway will connect the Vista at Lincoln and Lady Streets through a 100-year-old railroad bed to Finlay Park at Taylor Street. Pedestrians and cyclists will pass through the former railroad tunnel and find connecting to other parts of Columbia much easier.
To celebrate the Vista Greenway’s premier, and in conjunction with the City of Columbia’s Chill Out in Columbia event, the Palmetto Conservation Foundation, Palmetto Cycling Coalition and the Congaree Vista Guild are pleased to offer a series of family-friendly events and bicycle rides led by experienced bicyclists to showcase the greenway. Five different routes leaving from Cayce, West Columbia, Earlewood, Elmwood/Arsenal Hill and Shandon/5 Points, will each end on the Vista Greenway. For more information about particular routes, registration and ride schedules, visit www.PalmettoConservation.org.
“The Vista Guild is thrilled that the Vista Greenway will be open,” said Sarah Luadzers, executive director of the Congaree Vista Guild. “The Vista is in the heart of the city, and we’re excited about the improved connectivity to other parts of our city. The Greenway cements the fact that the Vista has something to offer everyone from Columbia residents to the thousands of visitors who stay in the Vista each year.”
Vista Greenway bicycle riders will receive a Vista Greenway sticker and after the ride, Vista businesses and restaurants will have these special offers for those with Vista Greenway stickers on Saturday, July 7:
Retail and museum offers:
- The Backpacker (1215 Wayne Street): $10 off all purchases of $50 or more.
- Mast General Store (1601 Main Street): Free bag of popcorn.
- Paul D. Sloan Interiors (1012 Gervais Street): 20 percent storewide discount.
- The S.C. Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum at the S.C. State Museum (301 Gervais Street): Two for the price of one admission and 10 percent discount in museum shop.
- River Runner (905 Gervais Street): $50 off any stock kayak, canoe or SUP board over $500.
- Tom Bagby Photography (911 Lady Street): Corn hole competitions at noon at 2:00 p.m. Winners of each competition will receive a gift voucher for a photo session and a $500 credit towards a winner.
Restaurant and bar offers:
- Salsarita’s (916 Gervais Street): Buy one entrée, get second entrée half off
- Mezza (701 Gervais Street): Purchase lunch for two and receive a complimentary glass of wine. Purchase dinner for two and receive a complimentary bottle of wine.
- Motor Supply Co. Bistro (920 Gervais Street): Complimentary glass of wine at lunch or dinner.
- Tutti Frutti (1205 Lincoln Street): 20 percent discount on frozen yogurt.
- Pearlz (936 Gervais Street): 20 percent off food purchase.
- Cupcake (1213 Lincoln Street): 20 percent off grasshopper cupcakes.
- Carolina Ale House (708 Lady Street): 10 percent off total purchase.
Additionally, Trustus Theatre will present the acclaimed “Avenue Q,” and City Art Gallery will present the South Carolina Watermedia Society’s Exhibition, featuring original paintings from 60 South Carolina artists.
For more information on the Congaree Vista Guild, visit www.VistaColumbia.com. Find the Vista Guild on Facebook, Pinterest or on Twitter: @VistaGuild.